Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

One Child, One Voice

Welcome to One Child, One Voice. This blog is where I plan on shouting from the rooftops about the orphan crisis worldwide. I have a particular heart for special needs orphans. Let me show you some statistics. I'm going to be brutally honest here. It might not be pleasant, but it's reality.

There are over 143,000,000 orphans worldwide. 143,000,000 children with no one who loves them enough or is able enough to call them "my child." 143,000,000. (Some estimates have gone as high as 210,000,000.) Yeah. That's a lot.

Every 15 seconds, another child in Africa becomes an orphan due to AIDS.

Every 2.2 seconds, another orphan ages out of their system, with no where to go, and no one to turn to. When a child ages out of the system, what do you think they do? They become street kids, vulnerable to crimes of every sort, prostitution, trafficing, drugs, alcoholism, disease, and, of course, suicide. They become sex slaves, they become criminals, or they die. Or any combination of the above.

That's reality. For a healthy orphan. For special needs orphans, they end up in places like this.

  



They go to those places at about 5 years old.   They are adult mental institutions. They stay there until they die. For many, it doesn't take too long.

But... there is hope. There are wonderful organizations working to help orphans worldwide. I have a heart for special needs. That's my focus. So here are my resources:

Life 2 Orphans is a wonderful organization that provides sponsorships to orphans in Ukraine. They have been able to get one on one caregivers, update orphanages (some in unbelievably bad condition), and give hope to the hopeless. They do amazing work.

Project Hopeful works to educate people about adopting HIV+ orphans.

Reece's Rainbow profiles special needs orphans around the world.  They raise grant money to help these kids' forever families with the cost of adoption (which can be upwards of $55K in some places). 

I am the Guardian Angel to two beautiful children on Reece's Rainbow (one of whom is also profiled on Project Hopeful), and prayer warrior to three.  These kids need to come home.  They need grant money TO come home.  They need their families to see them, and to realize that adoption isn't nearly as scary as they think. 

They need to come home.

I hope this blog helps get them home.  That's my prayer.

I'll be showing you other kids, as well.  Worthy kids, kids who, many times, have been passed over so much, they're close to giving up hope.  Kids who hang onto that sliver of hope that there might be life outside the orphanage.  Outside the insitutions.  That someone loves them enough to call them "my son."  "My daughter."  "Mine." 

Stick with me.  There will be tears, and there will be laughter, and there will be heartache, and there will be celebration.  It will be a bumpy ride, but you'll be blessed.

I'm only one voice.  But I can help save one child.

No comments:

Post a Comment